I hear it often. And it bugs me.
“Collecting is only for the rich.”
Of something like it.
There is some truth to that statement. You used to be able to buy a couple of packs of sports cards for a buck or less.
No longer the case. The least expensive packs now start at $1.50 and you’d probably need to buy about 200 packs to make the full set.
The most expensive product is now $600. And that’s for only 6 cards!
I can see why some people think that sports card collecting is only for the rich.
I strongly believe that there are affordable, fun ways to collect! Because the benefits of collecting are many.
Here are 13 ways you can collect that do not need to break the bank:
1…Your favourite player(s) – find as many different cards as you can find of your favourite player.
This is part of my personal collection:
2. Your favourite team (or teams).
3. Rookies & Young Guns.
This can be a lot of fun. Make your predictions on who will be the next up & coming player(s) and get their cards while they’re inexpensive.
4. Start a goalie collection.
5. NHL Top 100 players – a life long project.
6. Jersey cards, autographs, and memorabilia cards which can include pieces from hockey jerseys, hockey sticks, equipment, and pucks.
Sure, these can be expensive but some collectors would rather have a couple of cool autograph/memorabilia cards than a monster box full of sets. To each their own.
Upper Deck releases 4 affordable hockey sets each year: O-Pee-Chee, MVP, Series 1, Series 2.
8. Insert sets.
Above is an example of some different parallel cards you can start with.
A completed parallel set can look something like this:
10. Panini Sticker Books.
New every year!
11. Former Stanley Cup winners and other Trophy winners.
12. Tim Hortons & Canadian Tire collecting cards.
Look for new Tim Hortons’ collecting cards in fall. Canadian Tire released released a set called “Coast to Coast” in spring, 2019.
13. Ask your dad, grandpa, uncle, or aunt if they remembering collecting.
Do they still have their collection? That’s another affordable way to start! Plus, it’s fun to collect with a friend – or family member.
14. Players who have the same birthday as you.
15. Players who were born in a certain city or country.
16. (Your idea here!) Message me below and tell me another way you could collect on a budget.
There is no right or wrong way to collect!
Just have fun & stay within your budget!